Internet Explorer is not a fully supported browser. For the best experience, please use Chrome or Firefox.
1. What is the HISTORICAL CONTEXT of this document? (AKA what historical events or trends may have been affecting or influencing the author of this document?)
2. Who is the INTENDED AUDIENCE of this document?
3. What is the author’s POINT OF VIEW?
4. What is the PURPOSE of this document? What is the author TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH?
TWO ADDITIONAL ITEMS
1. What TYPE of document is this?
2. What is some OUTSIDE KNOWLEDGE that helps to support, refute, or qualify what the author is showing us?
Spanish Conquistador Document Analysis
Analyze the Spanish motives for conquest during the Age of Expansion and how these motives influenced Spanish attitudes toward the people living in the New World.
Each Indian is to be given a house of his own for his family and a farm for cultivation and cattle raising. The Indians are to be persuaded to go about dressing like "reasonable" men. The Indians are to be persuaded to abandon their ancient evil ways, and they are not to bathe as frequently as before, as we are informed that it does them much harm.
Source: Royal Decree, 1501. Spanish King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella