Tin Foil Boat Challenge
Identify the Challenge:
You work for a large engineering corporation that designs boats. The Chinese government is looking to hire your company to design a boat that can hold the most amount of merchandise. The rising costs of fuel is putting a damper on their profits so they want a boat that can hold more merchandise which means they can make less trips across the Pacific ocean to North America. You are in charge of the designing and testing of this project. You need to design a boat that can hold the most amount of weight possible without sinking it has to be able to hold 150 grams initially.
1. Do some research on why a boat can float.
2. Come up with a list of ideas about how your designs will look and make a list of materials.
1. Take a picture of your 4 designs. You must have came up with FOUR different designs. Write down the possible advantages and disadvantages that you saw.
Insert a picture of your final design.
1. Why did you choose this design?
2. What happened to your first attempt?
3. What happened to your second attempt?
4. What did you change to make your design better?
Share your solution:
1. What would you do differently next time to make your design better?
2. How much weight did your boat hold in the final challenge?
3. What worked the best and why?
4. Why is your design the best and why should the Chinese government choose it?