The link to the presentation "Earthquakes Chapt8" is at: https://www.slideshare.net/windyridge/earthquakes-chapt8?qid=65255a1d-c285-4aa5-b62a-87ed112769b6&v=&b=&from_search=22
First, we will watch the 5min. video "Earthquakes for Kids | A fun engaging introduction to Earthquakes and Tsunamis for Kids" at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-v-G1iL67w
(3min.) Bell Work: What do you believe causes earthquakes?
1. (7min.) As we watch the video, listen for the answer to the bell work question. According to the video:
What causes earthquakes?
What is a tsunami?
2. (5min./3min. explanation) Slideshare Slide #2. Copy the definitions.
Focus (same as HYPOCENTER):
3. (4min.) Slides 3-4: Where does the earthquake start? a. epicenter . b. hypocenter .
How do the seismic waves travel?
4. (5min.) Slide #6: CAUSE OF EARTHQUAKES (Copy).
Elastic Rebound Hypothesis
5. (8min.) ACTIVITY. How is energy accumulated in the wooden craft stick?
When is the energy released? When the stick ____ , the energy is _____.
6. (10min.) Slides#9-11 Copy. Seismographs:
7. (5min.) BODY WAVES.
What type of waves does a seismograph record?
8. Essential Question: What is an earthquake and what causes it?